Monday, January 10, 2011

New Year, New Life Bird!

Our trip to Ankeny NWR, on January 9th offered us a new year of birding and a new life bird.  Upon arriving at Eagle Marsh, I noticed a small bird on a notification sign.  Something I love to photograph.  Anytime a bird participates in civil disobedience, I thrill at the chance to catch it in the act! Todays "catch", was a Northern Shrike.  A first for Tracey and I.  How fun to start the year off with a lifer!  I studied and studied before finally feeling comfortable calling it a "Northern".  I am quite good at making myself look foolish when it comes to identification. I always miss something.  The hooked bill gave this one away and I am fairly confident I have not again, shown myself to be the fool.  I hope you enjoy these shots.  Not perfect due to poor lighting and aging equipment.  but here they are!














2 comments:

  1. what a grand way to start the new year out Rich! Shrikes are such handsome birds.. I love images with birds on signs too. Really nice series :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat bird. Some folks told me about on at Finley, in front of my friends the Rigors on Finley Rd. I thought they meant it was back from the road- it was right by the road with a vole in his beak! But since I wasn't expecting that I missed it with the camera. Later (this spring) got a second chance at Malheur with a Loggerhead- and a shrew! See http://www.flickr.com/photos/rushhourphoto/4606722238/in/set-72157623935015049/

    ReplyDelete